- My account
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Book by book, step by step, help your child get ready for school and start a lifelong love of reading and learning
How the program works
Register your child, at any age before they enter 5-year-old kindergarten, for this free do-it-at-home program
Your child will receive a program folder and reading log to record the first 100 books you read together
For every 100 books you read, your family will receive fun rewards
Participating in this program helps your child develop early literacy skills (prereading skills) that will help them throughout their entire school career.
Why the program is important
More than one in three American children start kindergarten without the skills they need to learn to read, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Start early. Read often. Building blocks of language and literacy form in the first three years of a child’s life. In their first year, a child’s brain doubles in size.
- Reading at home with young children is an important part of helping them become ready for school and learning.
- Reading, rhyming, singing and talking (early literacy skills) with children beginning from birth will profoundly influence literacy and language development, which are the foundations for all other learning (Source: healthychildren.org).
- Strong reading skills form the basis for learning in all subjects; kids who are read to at home are much more prepared to do well in school than kids who are not read to.
- Kids who are read to at home start school prepared to learn to read and write.