Calling young creators: Build rockets, forts & more at FDLPL
Do you have kids that love to create? The Fond du Lac Public Library will have multiple opportunities to exercise that passion for creativity during January.
First, starting Sunday, Jan. 2, our Kit of the Month will give youth a chance to Build Your Own Rockets. (Note: Kits now are offered monthly, rather than weekly.) Stop by the library to pick up supplies to create two different kinds of rockets; kits are first-come, first served, with a limited supply available in the Children’s Room.
Then, on Friday, Jan. 7, kids and their families can show off their building skills during Family Fort Night. Register ahead of time to attend this after-hours program that begins at 5:30 p.m. Bring your coziest blankets to build your fort; the library will provide a scavenger hunt, snacks and more. Caregivers will be required to attend with children who are registered.
Ever imagine not just eating marshmallows, but building with them as well? If so, be sure to join the library on Wednesday, Jan. 26 at 4 p.m. for Marshmallow Engineering. No registration will be required to stop in and create towers, bridges and more. This activity will be recommended for youth ages 5 years old and up.
Prefer to create art, rather than rockets? Register for either the library’s upcoming Paint-Along program or Drawing Lessons with Katie. On Saturday, Jan. 15 at 2 p.m., learn to paint a seasonal snowman; registration (and clothes that can get messy) are required. Then, on Monday, Jan. 17, learn how to draw people such as firefighters, divers and astronauts during Drawing Lessons with Katie starting at 4 p.m. No registration necessary.
Both art events are best for kids ages 5 and up.
Also scheduled for January are:
- Storytimes return starting Jan. 17: Drop in with your young ones for Storytime in the Storytime Room! Programs scheduled weekly include:
- Baby Storytime: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. for children ages 0-12 months and their caregivers.
- Toddler Storytime: Mondays at 9:30 a.m. for toddlers ages 1-2 and their caregivers.
- Preschool Storytime: Mondays at 10:30 a.m. for children ages 3-5 and their caregivers
- Snowy Scavenger Hunt: Stop by the library anytime in January to search for snowy clues and a chance to win a prize!
- Write a Letter to a Favorite Character: Visit the Children’s Room all month long to write a letter to your favorite storybook character.
- Write Your Name in Braille: Did you know January is Braille Literacy Month? Learn more about Braille and practice writing your name this month in the Children’s Room.
Teens also may register for the monthly Book with a Snack: Teen Book Boxes. Register from Jan. 3 to 9 to pick up the book boxes between Jan. 16 to 22.
Note: The Teen Discord channel will be discontinued in January.