- My account
Design a snowflake for FDLPL’s children’s department
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
A blizzard is coming to Fond du Lac Public Library, but only if the library receives a little help.
Starting Saturday, Jan. 2 through the end of the month, kids are invited to create their own snowflake and drop it off at the Fond du Lac Public Library. Use pipe cleaners, cotton balls, paper, or any other supplies on hand to make a snowflake.
Bring it to the library by the end of the month. Then, in February, visit the children’s room at FDLPL again to see the blizzard created by young patrons of the library. Will you be able to spot your snowflake?
Snowflakes should be no larger than 7.5 inches in diameter. A limited number of supplies will be available for pick up on weekends only.
This is one of many programs planned for youth and teens during January. Upcoming opportunities include:
Winter Reading Program:
- Youth, teens, and adults have through Sunday, January 17 to complete FDLPL’s first-ever Winter Reading Program. Earn rewards for reading, getting creative, getting active and learning about the library. Visit fdlpl.org to register with Beanstack and log your activities virtually. Prefer to keep track on paper? Stop by and pick up an activity card instead or download one off fdlpl.org. Complete five activities and receive a prize. All participants who complete the program will be entered into a grand prize drawing.
Calligraphy for Beginners Kit:
- Beginning Saturday, January 30: Pick up everything you need to get started with calligraphy. Then tune in Saturday, Feb. 6 at 11 a.m. via Zoom for a Virtual Beginner’s Chinese Calligraphy Workshop. Kits are first come, first served and supplies are limited. Register for the Feb.6 workshop at calendar.fdlpl.org.
Virtual storytimes return:
- Virtual storytimes return from Jan. 18 to April 23. On Mondays at 9:30 am, log on to facebook.com/fondylibrarykids for Tiny Tales: bite-size storytimes each week, featuring a story and a song, rhyme, or activity. Then on Fridays at 9:30 am, join Cuenta Cuentos: Cada semana un cuento o historia, con una canción, poema o juego en español.
Book with a Snack: Teen Book Boxes:
- Sign up for this month’s edition of the subscription-style program; January’s theme is “Epic Adventures.” Each box will include a book, a snack and fun trinkets. Registration begins Monday, Jan. 4 at 9 a.m. and closes Sunday, Jan. 10 at 4 p.m. Teen book boxes may be picked up between Monday, Jan. 18 and Sunday, Jan. 24.
- For the latest on teen happenings, check out the new FDLPL Teens instagram account @fondylibraryteens, or visit the FDLPL Teens page on Facebook.
Ongoing programming for youth & families:
- Frozen Virtual Escape Room: All month: Elsa has been thrown in the dungeons after accidentally striking Anna with her icy magic. Anna’s heart is rapidly freezing and knows only an act of true love can thaw a heart. Work alone or with family and friends to solve the puzzles so that Elsa can escape the dungeon before Anna freezes! Find the link at fdlpl.org
- Drawing Lessons with Katie: Thursdays starting January 7 at 4:30 p.m. at facebook.com/fondylibrarykids. Tune in and learn to draw something new and fun each week. No registration necessary.
- Dial-A-Story: Want a storytime on demand? Call Dial-A-Story! With stories, chapter excerpts, jokes and more for a variety of ages, there’s lots to explore. Dial (920) 322-1959, follow the prompts, and choose which story you want to hear! Stories will change every two weeks.
- Free Kit of the Week: Stop by the library to pick up a kit of supplies for the week’s activity! Kits are first come, first served and supplies are limited. Limit of one kit per child. No registration needed; no age limits for any of the kits:
- Saturday, Jan. 2: Pinecone birdfeeders
- Saturday, Jan. 9: Snowball fight picture
- Saturday, Jan. 16: Balloon powered race cars
- Saturday, Jan. 23: No-sew snowman
- Saturday, Jan. 30: Frozen Bubbles
Fond du Lac Public Library operates two locations: the Main Library at 32 Sheboygan St. in downtown Fond du Lac, and FDLPL Express at 1132 E. Johnson St. near Festival Foods. It also runs Chapter 52 Bookstore at 52 Sheboygan St. For more information on any of these locations, visit fdlpl.org.