Give kids the keys to success with the Children's Room at FDLPL
Connect your child with the keys to success with help from the Children’s Room at the Fond du Lac Public Library.
From STEAM programming to resources to practicing essential skills, the Fond du Lac Public Library has programs that will both enrich the lives of youth and teens – and that they’ll enjoy.
Enriching programs at the library are available to even the youngest children, beginning with Baby Storytime. Stop in Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. for children ages 0 to 12 months to enjoy books, music and more in the Storytime Room at the library.
Storytimes continue for both toddlers and preschoolers as well on Mondays and Thursdays. Toddler storytime is held on those days at 9:30 a.m., while Preschool Storytime starts at 10:30.
Other programs for youth scheduled during October include:
- Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 1:30 p.m. in the McLane Room - Homeschool Meetup: Connect with other homeschool families while learning about the services and materials the library can provide. No registration required.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 4:30 p.m. in the McLane Room - Crafty Kids: Join us as we bring back some of our favorite take-home kits. Recommended for ages 4+. No registration required.
- Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 4-6 p.m. in the McLane Room - Family Community Resource Fair: Looking for more resources in Fond du Lac to help your family thrive? Visit with local organizations that focus on helping families & young children lead happy and healthy lives. Fun activities will be available for kids. No registration necessary.
- Monday, Oct. 17 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room - STEAM Night: Join us for a new STEAM activity in this monthly program as well as a few regular activities including Legos and exploring our Barden Teacher Collection Kits.
- Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room - Kindergarten Readiness: Help your preschooler get ready for kindergarten at this monthly program practicing essential skills. No registration required.
- Friday, Oct. 28 - choose either 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. in the McLane Room - Paint-Along with Miss Katie: Miss Katie will lead kids in creating a work of art! Best for ages 5+. Wear old clothes. Caregivers must remain with children under the age of 8. Register at calendar.fdlpl.org to participate; registration opens Friday, Oct. 14 at 9 a.m.
- Registration opens Oct. 9 for the Dia de Los Muertos Kit: Dia de los Muertos (Nov. 1-2) is a traditional Mexican holiday to remember loved ones who have passed away. Learn more with a special craft. Best for ages 5+. Register Oct. 9 at 9 a.m. to Oct. 15; pick up the kit from Oct. 23 to. 29.
Youth also are invited to stop by the Children’s Room to write a letter to a local veteran, thanking them for their service. Stop by anytime the library is open in October to participate.
Local teens, meanwhile, have a variety of fun and educational activities scheduled for October. These include:
- Through Oct. 22 - Scary Story Contest: Writers: show off your chill and thrill skills with the autumn Scary Story Contest. Visit fdlpl.org/teens for full rules, more details, and the entry form.
- Monday, Oct. 3 at 4:30 p.m. in the McLane Room - Mean Girls Monday: Join the library for a screening of Mean Girls (2004). Wear pink to enter a prize drawing. Snacks provided. PG-13, 97 minutes.
- Tuesday, Oct. 4 at 4:30 p.m. in the McLane Room - Anime Afternoon: Join the library on the first Tuesday of each month to watch a couple episodes of an anime and eat snacks. Cosplay is always welcome.
- Tuesday, Oct. 18 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room - Full STEAM Ahead: Make ghostly hands with clear packing tape; we’ll provide the supplies. Geared for grades 6-12.
- Registration opens Oct. 9 for Book with a Snack - Teen Book Bags: Receive a free, new book & more for pick-up at the library from Oct. 18 to 24. Teens 12-18 should register from Oct. 4 to 10 at calendar.fdlpl.org. The October theme is “Wiccan Vigilantes.”