Storytime comes to you in December with Dial-A-Story
Want a story read for you or your child? Books and more will be available on demand starting Monday, Dec. 7 as Fond du Lac Public Library’s Youth Services department unveils Dial-A-Story.
Stories, chapter excerpts, jokes and more will be available for a variety of ages by calling 920-322-1959. It’s easy: follow the audio prompts and select the story you would like to hear.
Stories will change every two weeks, and may be accessed as often as you wish.
This is one of many virtual programs planned for youth and teens during December. Upcoming opportunities include:
Virtual Gingerbread House Decorating Contest:
- Beginning Monday, November 30, pick up a special gingerbread house decorating kit (while supplies last). Use the supplies provided, and feel free to supplement with additional items found at a local grocery store. Submissions must be original designs; entries created with commercially available gingerbread house kits will not be considered. Work alone or build together with your family. Snap a photo of you and your creation and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the first names and ages of everyone who helped (ages of adults who helped not necessary), as well as a contact phone number. Participants will be entered into a random prize drawing.
Book with a Snack: Teen Book Boxes:
- Sign up for this month’s edition of the subscription-style program. Each box will include a book, a snack and fun trinkets. Registration begins Monday, Dec. 7 at 9 a.m. and closes Sunday, Dec. 13 at 4 p.m. Teen book boxes may be picked up between Monday, Dec. 21 and Thursday, Dec. 31. Note: After hearing from teens participating in the program, FDLPL is making a small change. Starting in January, teen book boxes will have a theme. The boxes will have a book related to the theme as well as trinkets and a snack. The January theme will be “Epic Adventures.”
For the latest on teen happenings, check out the new FDLPL Teens instagram account @fondylibraryteens, or visit the FDLPL Teens page on Facebook.
Ongoing programming for youth & families:
- Finding Santa’s Sleigh Virtual Escape Room: All month: Work alone or with family and friends to solve puzzles and find Santa’s sleigh in time to save Christmas for kids all over the world! Find the link at fdlpl.org starting Dec. 1.
- Drawing Lessons with Katie: Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. at facebook.com/fondylibrarykids. Tune in and learn to draw something new and fun each week. No registration necessary.
- Free Kit of the Week: Stop by the library to pick up a kit of supplies for the week’s activity! Kits are first come, first served and supplies are limited. Limit of one kit per child. No registration required unless otherwise noted:
- Monday, Dec. 7: Create with Salt Dough; recommended for ages 0-5
- Monday, Dec. 14: Make Your Own Fairy Garden; recommended for ages 5 and up
- Monday, Dec. 21: DIY Glitter Meditation Bottle; recommended for ages 8 and up
- Monday, Dec. 28: DIY Snow Globe; for ages 12-18 only. Registration required; registration opens Monday, Dec. 14
Fond du Lac Public Library operates two locations: the Main Library at 32 Sheboygan St. in downtown Fond du Lac, and FDLPL Express at 1132 E. Johnson St. near Festival Foods.
For more information on any of these locations, visit fdlpl.org.