Summer Reading excitement continues during July in the Children's Room at FDLPL
Music, major trucks, Mad Science, and more will heat up July as Summer Reading at the Fond du Lac Public Library continues.
A community favorite activity, Touch a Truck, returns this summer at Lakeside Park. Kids of all ages will love to get up close with these monster machines on Tuesday, July 19 from 10 a.m. to noon in the large parking lot just off Harbor View Drive near Allen and Garfield streets.
A sensory-friendly hour will be honored from 11 a.m. to noon, with no horn honking allowed during this time. This event is free; no registration needed.
The Fond du Lac Public Library also will host two spotlight performances in the McLane Room during July.
On Wednesday, July 13, musician and entertainer David Landau will visit the library with his selection of songs and silliness. Kids will sing, dance, move around, and laugh a lot. To attend either the 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. performance, stop by the Children’s Room starting Thursday, July 7 at 9 a.m. to pick up a ticket. Space is limited; this event is best for children age 5 and up.
Then, on Wednesday, July 29, the library will host its final spotlight performance for the summer as Mad Science Milwaukee visits. Kids will dive into the science of sea life as they learn about the many amazing creatures that call the ocean their home. To attend either the 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. performance, stop by the Children’s Room starting Thursday, July 21 at 9 a.m. to pick up a ticket. Space is limited; this event is best for children age 5 and up.
Also scheduled for July are:
- Wednesday, July 5, 2 p.m. - Messy Art: Try lots of fun, messy art and we’ll handle the clean up. Wear clothes you don’t mind getting messy. No registration required. Recommended for preschoolers and their caregivers.
- Mondays, July 11, 18 & 25 at 2 p.m. - STEM Camp: Join us for awesome science activities at the Gottfried Arboretum! No registration required. Recommended for ages 7 and up.
- Tuesday, July 12 at 9:30 a.m. - Drive-In Movie: Create your own car, then sit back and enjoy a short movie. All supplies provided. No registration required. Recommended for preschoolers and their caregivers.
- Storytimes continue through July 28: Drop in with your young ones for Storytime in the Mid-States Room! Programs scheduled weekly include:
- Baby Storytime: Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. for children ages 0-12 months and their caregivers.
- Toddler Storytime: Mondays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. for toddlers ages 1-2 and their caregivers.
- Preschool Storytime: Mondays and Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. for children ages 3-5 and their caregivers
Teenagers, meanwhile, may register for the monthly Book with a Snack: Teen Book Bags. Register from July 3 to 9 to pick up the book boxes between July 17 to 23. July’s theme is “Sisterhood of the Wild.”
Other teen activities in July include:
- Through July 31 - Teen Art Contest: Fond du Lac County residents going into grades 6-12 this fall are invited to enter the summer Teen Art Contest! This year's theme is Fondy's Hidden Highlights. Learn more and download an entry form at www.fdlpl.org/third-annual-teen-art-contest
- Thursday, July 7 at 2 pm - Flower Totes: Create a one-of-a-kind tote bag using natural materials like flowers and ferns. Registration required; space is limited.
Meanwhile, readers of all ages are encouraged to continue logging their minutes through Aug. 14. For every five hours of reading, readers may pick up a prize and be entered into a grand prize drawing. Register online at fdlpl.beanstack.org, or stop by any service desk at the Fond du Lac Public Library.