Take the chill out of January with Winter Reading & FDL Reads programs
Love to laugh? Love to win prizes? Join Winter Reading @ FDLPL and Fond du Lac Reads for a chance to win as January heats up with events and activities.
Now through February, the library invites the Fond du Lac community to read “The Midwest Survival Guide” by Wisconsin’s favorite comedian and author, Charlie Berens. The Fond du Lac Public Library will host a series of Midwest-themed activities for all ages as part of our annual Fond du Lac Reads program. From Bingo to a Packers stenciling to a Midwest Movie Marathon, the library has something for everyone.
And because this year the library is linking Fond du Lac Reads to the annual Winter Reading Program, participants can win prizes just for participating. Log minutes read on the library’s online portal, Beanstack, as well as your participation in a series of challenges, and get entered for a grand prize that will be better than your favorite bottle of ranch dressing. In lieu of tracking progress online, patrons may use paper cards that are available at the Fond du Lac Public Library.
Activities planned for January include:
• Monday, Jan. 9 at 6 p.m. in the McLane Room: Join the monthly Evening Craft Class to create a wood cutout celebrating Wisconsin's favorite professional football team, the Packers. Registration required at calendar.fdlpl.org.
• Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 1:30 p.m. in the McLane Room: The library teams up with the Senior Center to hold nickel bingo. All are welcome; winner takes the pot at the end of each game.
• Saturday, Jan. 28 at 11 a.m. in the McLane Room: Dreaming of warmer weather and baseball season? Watch the classic baseball film “Field of Dreams.”
• Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 5:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room: Create a knit headband while knitting in the round. Skills needed: casting on, knit, purl, and binding off. Register starting Jan. 17 at calendar.fdlpl.org.
• Monday, Jan. 16 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room: Drop in to STEAM Night to learn about Midwest Weather by creating a blizzard in a bag and more. Geared toward early elementary children but all ages welcome.
• Monday, Jan. 23 at 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. in the McLane Room: Join Miss Katie as she directs youth in painting a Midwest-themed image. Register at calendar.fdlpl.org
• Tuesday, Jan. 3 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States: Drop in to Anime Afternoon to see a few episodes of anime and enjoy a few snacks. Cosplay is welcome.
• Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 4:30 p.m. in the Mid-States Room: Create hot chocolate bombs during Full STEAM Ahead.
• Monday, Jan. 23 at 2:00 p.m. in the Mid-States Room: Check out the shenanigans Wayne and Garth get into during a viewing of “Wayne’s World.”
Additional events are planned for February as well.
Learn more about Winter Reading and Fond du Lac Reads by visiting fdlpl.org/winterread or log in to fdlpl.beanstack.org to start logging participation.
Plenty of other activities are also planned at the library not associated with these programs; to see what else you can enjoy, visit calendar.fdlpl.org.