- My account
Learn to use the laser cutter at October program
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
An opportunity to learn about the Fond du Lac Public Library’s laser cutter will highlight a month of virtual activities at the Idea Studio.
On Thursday, October 29 at 6:30 pm via Zoom, participants will discover how to use the laser cutter for veneer marquetry. Veneer marquetry is the art of using cardstock-weight pieces of wood to create patterns and pictures.
To register, visit the corresponding event on the FDLPL calendar.
The class will cover the basics of veneer marquetry, finding or creating designs suitable for veneer marquetry, and how to use the laser cutter to cut the designs. The laser cutter is available for public use, after badging (basic equipment training).
Other programs scheduled for the month at the Idea Studio include:
- Thursday, October 8 at 7 pm: Idea Studio Happy Hour (held the second Thursday of every month): Catch up with fellow makers and Idea Studio staff, and share your projects, ideas and resources.
- Tuesday, October 20 at 7 p.m.: Silhouette Cameo Showcase - Scrapbook Edition ( shown via Facebook Live): Learn about the ways a Silhouette Cameo vinyl/paper cutter can be used in scrapbooking. Follow session at facebook.com/ideastudioFDLPL.
- Thursday, October 22 at 6:30 p.m.: Back by popular demand: Design a Clock Face, presented via Zoom: Learn how to create projects for the Carvey CNC router by making a clock face design using online software. Completed designs will be cut by Idea Studio staff & can be combined with an inexpensive clock movement. Register at calendar.fdlpl.org; a Zoom link will be provided prior to the event.
The Idea Studio continues to be open by appointment. Patrons of the library may use the Idea Studio in two ways:
- Online project setup/consultation and pickup: For 3D printing, sublimation printing of masks and mugs, and button-making, patrons now can schedule an online setup session with Idea Studio staff. They then can pick up and pay (if applicable) for that project when their project is ready. Previous training to use this service is not required.
- Limited in-person appointments: For recording studio, laser cutter, Carvey CNC and printmaking press, patrons can reserve equipment (using the online scheduling platform Skedda) for which they have been trained (badge required). Bookings must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Same-day/walk-in reservations will not be accepted at this time. Some equipment use will be limited (for example, the recording studio station will be set up primarily for editing only (not enclosed, no microphones, bring your own headphones/earbuds).
Crossover between these types of use will not be allowed at this time. For example, 3D printers are not available for in-person use at this time.
For more information about the Idea Studio, its limited reopening or upcoming programs, visit fdlpl.org/ideastudio.